Kitesurfing is a surface water sport that combines aspects of wakeboarding, snowboarding, windsurfing, surfing, paragliding, skateboarding and gymnastics. It’s the perfect whole body workout.
Although there are many opportunities to kitesurf in the UK, Tarifa in Spain is one of the world’s kitesurfing hotspots. The colourful kit filled skyline is one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen, and many people travel in from far and wide to get their Kitesurfing fix here along with the sunshine you can’t always guarantee on in the UK.
The whole body workout
Not only is kitesurfing fun, but the sport has a whole heap of benefits for the body and mind including;
- Toning of the whole body, especially the upper area, arms, and abdomen.
- Increasing physical strength in your arms by holding the kite and in your legs by bending over the board
- The combination of aerobics and resistance
- The increases of coordination and concentration by focusing on several tasks at once
- Balance, by riding the board and engaging the core
- Stress relief. As with most sports, kitesurfing gives a great feeling of wellness that also helps to boost your immune system
Kitesurfing Schools to check out
You will need a car! Public transport is far and few between in and around the Tarifa area, and there is a real distance between towns unless you’re up for a long adventure!
You can pick up rentals at the airport when you arrive.
Where to stay
The houses further out are wonderfully huge and most have pools you can laze about by after a hard day on the beach. I have a huge love affair for travelling with Airbnb at the moment and found some great deals specifically in the Tarifa area from as little as £14 per night.
Local airports include Gibraltar and Malaga and served by Easyjet and other airlines. Be aware that because Gibraltar’s air path is in-between the ocean, poor visibility makes if a little contentious for landing and in rare circumstances you may be rerouted to Malaga where coaches are laid on to travel back into Gibraltar.