Avocado & Pistachio Bruschetta – Serves 2
This is an adaptation of one of the best dishes I had the pleasure of eating, at a restaurant called Cork, while in DC Washington visiting my brother and his girlfriend last year.
The original version uses normal white french baguette, however, I’ve substituted this for a wholemeal version which adds a nutty flavour, added fibre and gives slower releasing carbs.
- 1 – medium wholemeal baguette
- 1 – very ripe medium avocado
- A handful or roasted pistachio nuts (my brother and I have tried the unroasted before and it just doesn’t give the same flavour!)
- 2 – tablespoons of roasted pistachio oil (click here for stockists)
- Rock salt
- In a pestle and mortar remove the pistachio shells and grind the nuts until course – set aside for sprinkling
- Slice the avocado, set aside.
- Slice and grill the baguette and layer the avocado on each slice
- Sprinkle with the pistachio nuts, drizzle with the roasted pistachio oil and sprinkle with rock salt
Calories per slice: 231
Saturated fat: medium (the avocado gives you a great source of ‘good’ fats)
This is a superb dish for entertaining with guests and wonderful for vegetarians.